press release Chevron Pacific Indonesia thanks community partners in Riau
Pekanbaru, 5 October, 2021 – Following the successful handover of the Rokan block’ State Asset from PT Chevron Pacific Indonesia (“PT CPI”) to the Indonesian government last August. PT CPI is expressing its gratitude towards its main community partners by highlighting the work of some of the non-governmental organizations (NGOs), educational institutions, and other groups that the company has worked with during the 97 years it operated the Rokan block in main publications in Riau.
Themed “Thank You Riau for Letting PT CPI Be a Part of Your Community,” the initiative highlights specific community projects and community organizations that PT CPI supported over the years for them as a form of gratitude for the excellent cooperation that has been built during PT CPI's operations in Riau and a form of commitment to continue to maintain the good relationship.
“We, at PT CPI, are grateful for the work that has been done over the years with our many NGOs and community partners in support of the local communities. While our involvement has come to an end, we look forward to the continued success of the Rokan block” says Managing Director PT CPI Albert Simanjuntak.
The key projects and organizations that PT CPI has partnered with are as follows:
- In the environmental field, PT CPI collaborates with the Indonesian Elephant Association (PGI) and Jungle Satwa Foundation in an effort to save the Sumatran Elephant (Elephas maximus sumatranus) in Riau through real-time monitoring using satellite technology of its population and elephant habitat development.
- PT CPI collaborated with KEHATI Foundation to establish the Tiger and Human Conflict Mitigation program. This program enjoyed strong support from various government agencies such as the Ministry of Environment and Foresty (KLHK) and SKK Migas. CPI and KEHATI Foundation also establish the Elephant and Human Conflict Mitigation. The program raised awareness of the behavior of the Sumatran tigers and elephants.
- PT. Chevron Pacific Indonesia (PT CPI) and the Peat Restoration Board, or Badan Restorasi Gambut (BRG), are bringing non-burning land clearing management, or Pengelolaan Lahan Tanpa Bakar (PLTB), to 10 villages in the Siak and Rokan Hilir districts of Riau as part of the Peat Care Village Program. Through this program, the local community will be trained and assisted in practicing peat land clearing without using fire, an environmentally friendly agricultural cultivation technique.
- Align with Chevron’s value, “protecting people and the environment”, PT CPI supported the Government of Indonesia’s program in environment protection and biodiversity conservation, in particular mangrove ecosystem conservation through Mangrove Ecosystem Restoration Alliance (MERA) initiated by Yayasan Konservasi Alam Nusantara (YKAN).
- Working with LPPM Universitas Lancang Kuning (Unilak) to promote a cleaner environment and provide economic benefits for local communities, PT CPI established waste management program. Waste Bank system was established as an effort to increase the economic value of waste while improving the surrounding environment. PT CPI introduced its waste bank management program to four waste bank groups from four subdistricts in Pekanbaru, Siak and Bengkalis.